Survivor

Survivor

Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Afternoon




We got some good news this morning when we came in. The results of Ben's Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap) came back negative for Lukuemia cells. This is such an awesome answer to prayers because this means that we do not have to worry about treating Ben with Radiation to his brain. We feel like a weight has been lifted.

Also Matt has been doing some research and is learning more each day about Ben's particular type of Lukeumia. We originally were told that "ALL" type "PRE-B" has an 80-85% curability. Through Matt's research in the wonderful library at the hospital called the emily room, put in place for family's like us to research their childrens diseases, we have found out that the 85% is an overall average for children and adults. What we are learning is that this average means that adults have more like a 60% curability where children under the age of ten are place at 90.9%. I am sure you can imagine what good news this is to us. Every little percent is huge to us. So I ask that you Praise God today with the direction we believe he is taking us daily.

Ben is doing well today although he is still very tired he is tolerating the Chemo wonderfully. He is complaining of headaches so they gave him Tylenol this morning but so far has not had any nausea that we can tell and no vomiting. He is still not feeling very talkative or playful but he was teasing me playfully about an hour ago. He was wiping my kisses off his face and laughing when I went back to give him more.

So far his appetite is beginning to pick up. The Doctor let us know that one of the medications that he is on, a steroid, will greatly increase his appetite and to expect that he could gain 20-25 pounds while on this steroid.

It looks like we will not be released to go home with Ben tomorrow like it was originally planned. His blood pressure is still a little high and we want to be sure that he is okay. We are hoping for maybe Thursday or Friday.

I have a prayer request for all of you that are praying for us. I am a little nervous to take Ben home because we have many new routines to adjust to. I hope you will join me in my prayer that God will perform a miracle in me. Aside from general hygiene Ben will have many special routines throughout his day and I will be in watch for germ exposure for the next three years. Those of you who know me well know I can be extremely scatterbrained so I ask that God will bestow a grace to me to give me immediate help in this area. I want to be the best protector I can be for him to keep him from getting sick as much as possible. I also want to be as on top of things as I can be.

The Chemo Therapy will deplete Ben's immune system after each treatment the worst days for him will be between day 7-10 and he will be having weekly treatments for six months so he will have pretty much no immune system for the next half of a year. He will be given antibiotics every Saturday and Sunday for the next Three and a half years to help prevent a particular form of Pneumonia. I believe this will also help protect him from other exposure.

Thank you again for your prayers. I will never be able to say enough how much that I believe that God is honoring our faith and prayers on a daily basis to benefit Ben's outcome in this. I will never be able to tell you how much it means to me that I believe all of you are taking apart in his life with your prayers.
I am working on posting some pictures from the last few days but have limited resources for that here at the hospital.
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, I have no doubt the Lord will provide whatever you need to help keep Ben germ free but, i will be lifting you up and asking the Lord to help and if there is anything I can do, I would be glad to help out. I have a box of little kids masks that I used for a demonstration at work - they have Mickey Mouse graphics on them - I will bring them to you if you'd like to have them - they are brand new and we only used about 10 of them. We love you and are so blessed by your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a friend of Pam Means and just want you to know I am praying for Ben and your whole family. May God continue to pour out His mercy to you all.

    Leta

    ReplyDelete

Followers